A solid waste facility includes a solid waste transfer or processing station, a composting facility, a transformation facility, and a disposal facility. The Solid Waste Program is the Local Enforcement Agency (LEA) for Ventura County. Solid Waste staff serve Ventura County residents by ensuring the safe handling and proper disposal of residential and commercial solid waste. Staff permit, inspect, and monitor the operation of solid waste facilities such as landfills, waste transfer processing stations, and organics processing facilities and operations (composting operations; chip and grind operations).
LEA staff also responds to complaints of illegal solid waste disposal and perform related investigations. Click here to File a Solid Waste Complaint.
Solid Waste Sites in Ventura County
- CalRecycle Solid Waste Information System and Inventory
- Inventory of Archive Closed, Illegal, and Abandoned Solid Waste Sites
- Document Imaging Site
- Ventura County Permit Application List
A landfill is a location in which waste is discharged in or on land for disposal. It does not include surface impoundment, waste pile, land treatment unit, injection well, or soil amendments. Toland Landfill in Santa Paula and Simi Valley Landfill in Simi Valley are the two active landfills in Ventura County.
Waste Transfer / Processing Stations
A waste transfer or processing station includes those facilities utilized to receive solid wastes, temporarily store, separate, convert, or otherwise process the materials in the solid wastes, or to transfer the solid wastes directly from smaller to larger vehicles for transport, and those facilities utilized for transformation.
Organics Processing or Compostable Material Handling Facility or Operation means an operation or facility that processes, transfers, or stores compostable materials. Handling of compostable materials results in controlled biological decomposition. Handling includes composting, screening, chipping and grinding, and storage activities related to the production of compost, compost feedstocks, and chipped and ground materials. These facilities also include
- agricultural material composting operations;
- green material composting operations and facilities;
- vegetative food material composting facilities;
- research composting operations;
- chipping and grinding operations and facilities;
- and, biosolids composting operations at publicly owned treatment works
Information for Organics Processing / Composting Operations and Facilities
- Compost Facility / Operation Application
- Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling
- CA Integrated Waste Management Board Food Waste Composting Regulations White Paper 2009
Mulch Application Standards
Mulch means landscape waste and crop production byproducts consisting of leaves, grass clippings, weeds, yard trimmings, wood waste, branches and stumps, and whole plants/trees, that have been ground to a reduced particle size. Mulch can be either a raw ground material or compost.
Ventura County has locally adopted mulch application standards. These land application standards define what is considered “mulch” and prohibit land application of compostable material other than mulch. LEA staff responds to complaints regarding compliance with these standards
- Ventura County Land Application of Mulch Standards
- Ventura County Fire Prevention District Mulch Standards
- Managing Alternative Livestock Feed Sources
Information for Waste HaulersA waste hauler is anyone who hauls waste to a landfill or transfer station.
- Waste Receipt Questionnaire Form for Haulers
Please click on the following link to see a list of solid waste collectors in Ventura County
Solid Waste Legislation and Standards
- Solid Waste Ordinance
- Enforcement Program Plan
- California Code of Regulations, Titles 14 and 27
- California Public Resources Code
Public Resources and Helpful Links
- CA Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery
- Ventura County Public Works Agency, Integrated Waste Management Division
- Mandatory Commercial Recycling
- Zero Waste
- California’s 75% Initiative
- Food Scraps Management
- Electronic waste
Facility/Site Listing Map
Solid Waste Staff Specialists
805 654-2859 805 654-2433