Frequently Asked Questions
What is the VCCP?
- The Ventura County Cleanup Program (VCCP) began in 1996 with the passage of SB 1248 by the State Legislature. This bill allows local environmental health programs to oversee the cleanup of sites where hazardous materials or wastes have been released. The Ventura County Environmental Health Division established the VCCP in order to assist local businesses with the cleanup of these sites.
What are the advantages to participation in the VCCP?
- Significant oversight cost savings on smaller sites
- Significant time savings
- Local point of contact
What does the VCCP do for my business?
- This Program provides a local oversight alternative for site cleanups. Formerly, site cleanups could only have Cal/EPA oversight.
Which sites are eligible for the VCCP?
- Generally, sites participating in the Program have small and localized contamination. Sites on the National Priority List (NPL), State CalSites list, or already under State oversight are not eligible.
How does the VCCP work?
- After preparation of a Preliminary Endangerment Assessment (PEA), Environmental Health staff evaluate the site to see if it fits local oversight characteristics. If the site is accepted into the Program, an agreement is executed between the County and the Responsible Party (RP) for the performance of the work. The RP then submits work plans for assessment and cleanup of the site which are reviewed by County staff for adequacy with State standards. Once the agreed upon cleanup standards are reached, a completion letter is issued to the RP.
What is the cost of VCCP participation?
- The RP agrees to pay hourly for County staff time spent performing oversight.
What do I receive at the completion of cleanup?
- The County will issue a compliance letter stating that State standards set out in the initial cleanup agreement have been met in the cleanup process. While this is not a final site closure letter, the State has agreed to accept these compliance letters as closure for sites in the Program.
Where can I get more information?