The County defines a Single Family Dwelling/Home as a building constructed in conformance with the Uniform Building Code, or a mobile home meeting the Standards of Section 8107-1.3 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance, designed or used exclusively for occupancy by one family and containing one principal dwelling unit.
To determine the type of planning permit required for a proposed single family dwelling, you must determine if your project site is located in a coastal or non-coastal area.
Within the non-coastal area, Single Family Dwellings are permitted by right on all Open Space, Agricultural, Residential (Rural and Urban Residential, but not for a Residential Planned Development) and Special Purpose zoned parcels that conform to the required minimum lot size for that zone (with certain exceptions – see Section 8105-4 of the non-coastal zoning ordinance). However, if your project site is located within the coastal area, the proposed unit must also conform to the development standards listed in sections 8174-4, 8174-5, and 8175-5.1of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance. These development standards may limit the size of the proposed Single Family Dwelling, specify on-site parking requirements, etc.
- Single Family Dwellings, which are located in the non-coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance, require the issuance of a Zoning Clearance. Please fill out a Zoning Clearance Application and bring this with a set of site plans (include one set of 8.5”x11” reductions), floor plans, and elevation drawings to the Planning Public Counter at the County Government Center. To obtain the exact fee for a Zoning Clearance for a Single Family Dwelling at your project site, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2403.
- Single Family Dwellings, which are located in the coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Coastal Zoning Ordinance, require the issuance of a Coastal Planned Development Permit by the Planning Director (unless it is in an exempt area*), following environmental review and notification to neighbors. To obtain the necessary application materials and information about the approval process and fees for Coastal Second Dwelling Units, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2488.
- See Sec. 8105-4; Sec. 8107-1.3 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- See Sec. 8174-4; Sec. 8174-5; Sec. 8175-5.1 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- *See Sec. 8174-5 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance for Exempt Areas