Draft 2021-2029 Housing Element
The Draft Housing Element is a multiyear policy document with housing strategies and programs intended for the unincorporated areas of the county. The Board of Supervisors will consider the draft Housing Element at a regularly scheduled hearing at 3:00 p.m. on February 9, 2021. This is the first step in the public review process. After receiving feedback at the Board of Supervisor’s hearing and from the California Housing & Community Development Department (HCD), Planning Division staff will continue work on the Housing Element. Additional hearings before the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors will then be scheduled mid-summer and fall of 2021.
NEW! The Draft 2021-2029 Housing Element can be viewed HERE. (Updated: The February 2021 Draft includes all appendices and the Fair Housing Needs Assessment)
The County of Ventura launched a Housing Element Update in 2020. This website provides up-to-date information on the Housing Element Update process, including information on upcoming community workshops, meetings, documents prepared for the Housing Element Update, the project timeline, and opportunities to provide feedback. The current 2014-2021 Housing Element remains active until the 2021-2029 Housing Element is adopted and certified.
The County, along with all California cities and counties, is required to adequately plan to meet the housing needs of everyone in the unincorporated communities, and to update its plan every eight years. The Housing Element is a mandated element of the County’s General Plan and is the only element that must be updated on a set schedule and then certified by the State.
The foundation for the Housing Element is the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA), in which the State estimates each region’s housing needs for all income groups for the upcoming eight years. Each region then determines how much of the region's total housing needs will be assigned to each city and county within the region. Jurisdictions do not construct the housing units but are required by the State to demonstrate in their planning documents that enough land is properly zoned to accommodate the identified existing and future housing needs within the planning period.
Ventura County falls within the Southern California Association of Governments, or SCAG region. The County's portion of the SCAG RHNA target for the 2021-2029 Housing Element period is proposed to be 1,259 homes, with finalization of this number expected by SCAG in August 2020. This housing goal is further broken down by income category. The Housing Element Update FAQ provides more detailed information on the draft RHNA targets assigned to the County by income group. For more information on RHNA and the RHNA allocation process, visit the SCAG website.
The 2021-2029 Housing Element is the sixth update to the Housing Element and is sometimes referred to as the 6th Cycle Housing Element. In this Housing Element, the County must identify enough potentially developable land zoned for residential use to meet the County’s new RHNA housing targets and must provide goals, objectives, policies, and programs to meet the housing needs of its citizens.
Contents of the Housing Element
Because the Housing Element is updated frequently, the previous element provides a foundation for this update. The new update also provides an opportunity to evaluate the previous Housing Element and determine which parts were effective and which should be improved. Read the County’s 2014-2021 Housing Element for more information on existing housing policies and programs.
The Housing Element typically includes seven major components, including the following:
- Housing Needs Assessment: Provides demographic and housing need information for the County.
- Constraints Analysis: Analyzes existing and potential constraints to the development of housing and how those will be addressed.
- Evaluation of Past Performance: Assesses the County’s progress in implementing the policies and programs set forth in the prior Housing Element.
- Housing Sites Inventory and Analysis: Identifies sites available for development or redevelopment and that are appropriately zoned to support housing development in order to accommodate the County’s RHNA.
- Housing Resources: Identifies financial and other resources available to support housing development, especially affordable housing.
- Policies and Programs: Establishes new policies and programs designed to address the housing needs identified in the County unincorporated areas.
- Community Outreach: Discusses the community involvement efforts done as part of the Housing Element update process, including outreach to all economic groups; the input they provided and how that has been addressed in the Element.
Housing Element Update Timeline
The project schedule, which includes public hearings and deliverables, is outlined below. The upcoming Housing Element will cover a planning period of 2021-2029 and is scheduled for adoption by Fall 2021.
Housing Element Draft for Public Review
Board of Supervisors Hearing on Draft Housing Element
HCD 60-day Review
Planning Commission Hearing on Final Housing Element Draft
Board of Supervisors Hearing on Final Housing Element Draft
HCD 90-day Review
Participate in the County’s Housing Element Process
The success of this update will depend in part on public engagement. There will be multiple opportunities to participate online and in person as the Housing Element is drafted and finalized. The County is continuously considering new ways to safely conduct public outreach in light of the coronavirus pandemic and public health orders. Subscribe below to receive project updates via email and check back here for updates, meeting announcements, workshop materials, and packets for Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission hearings.
Housing Element Interested Party List
Housing Element Update Comments
Held on Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:00 pm via Zoom
Summary of Questions and Answers in English and Spanish- Coming soon!
- Housing Element Frequently Asked Questions
- 2020 California Housing Legislation Update Presentation to the Board of Supervisors – On February 25, 2020, Planning Division staff provided an update to the Board of Supervisors on new state housing bills that went into effect January 1, 2019. A link to the staff report and a legislative summary can be found here. The video presentation can be accessed on the Board of Supervisors website here (Meeting Date 2/25/2020, Agenda Item #52).
- Certified 2014-2021 Housing Element – The certified 2014-2021 Housing Element consists of Chapter 3.3 of the Goals Policies and Programs document and the Land Use Appendix.
- SCAG 2019 Demographic Profile of Unincorporated Ventura County - The Local Profile reports provided by SCAG contain a variety of demographic, economic, education, housing and transportation information about the unincorporated County of Ventura.
- Housing Element Annual Progress Report - The preparation and submittal of the Housing Element Annual Progress Report to the state Housing and Community Development Department and Governor’s Office of Planning and Research is required by State law. The Annual Report documents past housing-related activities and may identify the timing of upcoming activities. Annual Progress Reports from the past five years are found here.
- Final Statewide Housing Assessment 2015 - This is a report by HCD which contains data and analysis describing California’s housing challenges, incorporates public feedback, and provides recommendations and a Housing Action Plan to address those challenges.