The County defines a Farmworker Dwelling Unit as a dwelling occupied by a farmworker, and his or her family, employed full time and working on the same lot on which the dwelling unit is located or on other land that is under the same ownership or lease as the subject lot. Verification of employment of the farmworker or animal caretaker is required. Please note that there is no code provision for a property caretaker.

To determine the type of planning permit required for a proposed farmworker dwelling unit, you must determine if your project site is located in a coastal or non-coastal area.

For project sites located in non-coastal areas, farmworker dwellings must conform to sections 8105-4 and 8107-26 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance to be permissible on the appropriately zoned parcels. Should a farmworker dwelling unit not meet the conditions of Section 8107-26, a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) can be applied for. For project sites located in the coastal zone, farmworker dwelling units are permissible on condition of conformity to sections 8175.35 and 8176-2 (m) of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance.

  • See Sec. 8105-4; Sec. 8107-26; Sec. 8107-26.1; Sec. 8107-26.2; Sec. 8107-26.3; Sec. 8107-26.4; Sec. 8107-26.5 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance

*Notice-  The PDF version can be mailed to the Planning division or submitted electronically to  Mr. Anthony Ciuffetelli via e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.