The County classifies a Barn as an accessory structure related to agriculture and animal husbandry/keeping.
To determine the type of planning permit required for a proposed barn, you must determine if your project site is located in a coastal or non-coastal area.
For project sites located in the non-coastal zone, barns must conform to Section 8105-4 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance to be permissible on the appropriately zoned parcels. However, for project sites located in the coastal zone, barns are permissible on condition of conformity to Section 8174-4 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance.
- Barns, which are located in the non-coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance, can require the issuance of a Zoning Clearance (based upon the zoning and size of the storage shed). Please fill out a Zoning Clearance Application and bring this with a set of site plans (include one set of 8.5”x11” reductions), floor plans, and elevation drawings to the Planning Public Counter at the County Government Center. To obtain the exact fee for a Zoning Clearance for a Barn at your project site, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2488.
- Barns, which are located in the coastal zone and meet the requirements in the Coastal Zoning Ordinance, may require the issuance of a Coastal Planned Development Permit (or a modification to an existing permit) by the Planning Director (unless it is in an exempt area* and other provisions of Section 8174-5.2), following environmental review and notification to neighbors. To obtain the necessary application materials and information about the approval process and fees for Coastal barns, please contact a planner at the Planning Public Counter at (805) 654-2488.
- See Sec. 8105-4 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- See Sec. 8174-5.2; Sec. 8174-4 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance
- *See Sec. 8174-5 of the Coastal Zoning Ordinance for Exempt Areas