Appeals are processed in the same manner as other discretionary application requests as set forth in Article 11 of the Zoning Ordinance, and specifically in accordance with Section 8111‑7 and it subsections.
Appeals of administrative decisions made by the Planning Director (or designee) are heard by the Planning Commission. Appeals of Planning Commission decisions are heard by the Board of Supervisors. Appeals relating solely to requests for waivers or modifications of policies of the Board of Supervisors are heard by the Board of Supervisors.
- Appeals of all entitlements and administrative decisions shall be filed within 10 calendar days following the date of action, decision, or date of the alleged error, or the following workday if the tenth day falls on a weekend or holiday. The day following the date of the decision shall be counted as the first day of the ten day appeal period.
- An appeal of an environmental decision shall be filed within 10 calendar days following the date a decision was rendered.
- If the end of an appeal period falls on a weekend or holiday, the appeal must be filed by 5:00 p.m. on the first working day thereafter.
Refer to the Fee Schedule for current filing fees. There are no fees required to submit appeals on decisions made on projects located in the coastal zone which are appealable to the Coastal Commission. These areas are shown on the map below.
If the appeal is upheld, all fees are refunded. If the appeal is upheld only in part, the decision making body shall determine which portion is refunded. Where an appeal is denied by the decision making authority, the appellant is responsible for all fees for staff time required to process the appeal within limits established by the Fee Schedule.
- Map of unincorporated areas within the Coastal Commission appeals jurisdiction
- Appeal Application Form
- Appeal Reimbursement Agreement
- Section 8111-7 of the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance
All appeals must be filed on the signed appeal application form below and, except for appealable developments in the coastal zone, must be accompanied by a signed Reimbursement Agreement, the required filing fees, and a justification of the appeal.