Hazardous Materials Business Plan Program

A Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) provides the Ventura County Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA), local fire agencies, and the public with information on hazardous materials at businesses and most government facilities.

The law requires businesses that store, use, or handle hazardous materials at or above specified threshold amounts to provide the CUPA with a HMBP.

Changes in the law that might affect your facility and hazardous material reporting

CUPA has developed a Hazardous Materials Reporting Chart that explains the changes to the inventory reporting requirements and conditional exemptions in the California Health & Safety Code (HSC), Chapter 6.95, Article 1.  These changes are the result of the following legislative bills:

  •  Assembly Bill 408- effective January 1, 2012
  •  Senate Bill 483- effective January 1, 2014
  •  Senate Bill 1261- effective January 1, 2015
  •  Assembly Bill 2748- effective January 1, 2015

CUPA provides the HMBP data to the local fire agencies. These agencies use the information during hazardous materials emergency responses.  The CUPA is responsible for HMBP program compliance for the unincorporated area in Ventura County and within the cities of Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Fillmore, Santa Paula, Camarillo, Port Hueneme, and Ojai. However, within the cities of Oxnard and Ventura the city fire departments are responsible for HMBP program compliance.

Hazardous materials are defined as items which because of their quantity, concentration, or physical and/or chemical characteristics, pose a hazard to human health and safety or to the environment if released, or any material specified in a local ordinance code.

This includes substances which:

  • require a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (California Labor Code, Section 6360); or,
  • are listed as a radioactive material (Code of Federal Regulations, Title 10, Appendix B); or,

  • are a hazardous waste (California Health and Safety Code, Chapter 6.5).

Facilities must submit a HMBP to the CUPA electronically through the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) within 30 days of bringing hazardous materials onsite that are at or above threshold.  Also, a new and/or amended HMBP is required to be submitted to CERS within 30 days if at any time during the reporting year any of the following occur:

  • 100 percent or more increase of a previously disclosed material

  • Any undisclosed material(s)

  • Change of facility address, ownership or name

  • Any significant change: any change in a regulated facility that would inhibit immediate response during an emergency by either site personnel or emergency response personnel, or that could inhibit the handler's ability to comply with the HSC, Section 25507, change the operation knowledge of the facility, or impede implementation of the business plan.

The HMBP is required to be reviewed and submitted to CERS annually to ensure the plan is complete, accurate and up to date. 

The law requires that the Business Plan, records of employee training and updated site maps be available for review as part of the inspection. The CUPA conducts routine HMBP inspections to:

  • Ensure compliance with HMBP laws, regulations, and local policies.
  • Provide guidance on preventing or minimizing the risk of hazardous materials spills or releases.
  • Verify hazardous materials inventories, Emergency Response/Contingency Plans, Site maps and Training.

Additional HMPB information can be found at Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES).

Per the federal Community-Right-to-Know laws the general public can obtain the hazardous materials inventory for any HMBP facility by filing a Records Search Request Form.

Ventura County CUPA Contacts


Jim Wada

805 654-2435

Program Specialist

Tori Hren

805 662-6511


For specific questions about your permitted facility, please contact your Area Inspector.

Other Regulatory Contacts

Oxnard CUPA

Nathan West

805- 385-8364

Ventura PA

Foster McLean

805 - 654-7795

Alex Coronado

805 - 677-3985

Joe Grant

805- 654-7792