How Does the Enforcement Process Work?

The process begins with a complaint filed by a concerned citizen.

  • Anyone may submit a signed complaint about activities and/or structures on a piece of property. All complaints are confidential. The complainant’s name is not revealed to the violator unless ordered by the Court.

  • The complaint will be logged in and assigned to a Code Compliance Officer who covers the area where the complaint has occurred. As a courtesy, a notice of Alleged Violation typically will be sent to the property owner. This notice encourages all involved parties to resolve suspected violations within 30 days, before they become formally recognized and additional enforcement action is taken.

  • After 30 days, the Code Compliance Officer will investigate and conduct a site visit. If the violation has never existed or been abated, no further action is taken.

  • If the Code Compliance Officer confirms that a violation of the County’s Zoning Ordinance or Building Code exists and the property owner or tenant has failed to correct it, a Notice of Violation will be sent to the property owner. The Code Compliance Officer will then work with the owner of the property to bring about compliance in a timely manner.

  • If the violation continues unabated for another 30 days, the County will then record a Notice of Noncompliance on the property, which is the same as recording a lien. Simultaneously, a Notice of Impending Administrative Civil Penalties is issued, and another 30 days to correct the violation(s) is provided before penalties are imposed. Civil administrative penalties for non-abated violations range from $50 to $1000 per violation per day. The County’s Civil Administrative Penalties Program is described in more detail in the County’s Zoning Ordinance and Building & Safety Code.

  • Where a violation poses an immediate threat to public health or safety, or where the violation is a repeat offense or is transient in nature the 30-day notice and compliance periods described above may be waived and immediate enforcement and/or legal action (citation or criminal complaint) may be taken.

  • File a Complaint